The Dow Chemical Company has job opportunities for Instrument Electrical Apprentices located in Freeport, TX. Instrument Electrical Technicians install, maintain and repair the measuring and control instruments used in industrial processing. They work with a wide variety of pneumatic, electronic and microcomputer instruments used to measure and control variables such as pressure, flow, temperature, level, motion, force, and chemical composition to support the process plants.
Apprentices will participate in a 3-4 year company-paid program and will report to an Apprenticeship Program Technical Leader / Trainer who will support the Apprentice throughout the apprenticeship program. Through a combination of technical learning at a community college and on-the-job training at our chemical plants, Apprentices will acquire comprehensive expert knowledge and experience in the Instrument field. During the program, Apprentices will be offered paid tuition, wages and some benefits. Upon successful completion of the program, Apprentices will have earned an Associate's Degree. Apprentices who successfully complete the program will also be highly considered for a job within the company.
Individuals selected to fill an available Apprentice opening will be required to sign an offer letter that will commit them to working for Dow for 2 years following the completion of the program.
The hourly rate of pay for this role is $15.
During the program Apprentices will learn skills around:
* Maintaining and repairing all types of instrument systems.* Troubleshooting, diagnosing, and replacing defective components on instrumentation.* Reading electrical, logic, and loop diagrams.* Electronic troubleshooting and repair skills.* Procedure use - this includes field use, review, revision, and development of procedures.
The hire date for these opportunities will be early - late summer.
* A minimum of a High School Diploma or GED is required.* Must have a minimum GPA of 2.500 out of 4.000 if:* You are currently enrolled in high school or college* You have graduated from high school or college or obtained a GED within the last 2 years
* Individuals who are currently enrolled in high school or college or have graduated or received a GED within the last two years will be required to provide official transcripts/GED scores prior to being invited to an onsite interview.* Must have completed Algebra or Technical Math and Science coursework in High School. Completion of Chemistry and / or Physics coursework in High School is preferred.* After an offer of employment, but, prior to date of hire must complete college entrance exams / assessments at the community college to be attended. Must not be required to take any remedial or transitional coursework
Skills / Knowledge / Abilities:
* Must be 18 years or older on or before your start date.* Must have a current, valid US driver's license or the ability to obtain prior to your start date.* Ability to work in a safe manner. Safety is a top priority at Dow. Every individual at Dow is expected to make safety a priority.* Basic computer skills and the ability to learn new computer systems.* Desire to learn and develop technical skills to stay current with changing operations.* Effective written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong reading comprehension and listening skills.* Effective interpersonal skills.* Effective multi-tasking, problem solving and time management skills.* Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks with competing priorities.* Ability to efficiently work independently on routine tasks/jobs.* Effective initiative, teamwork, and technical capabilities.* A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
* Be able to work all applicable shifts on a rotating basis (including weekends & holidays) and work overtime, when needed.* Be able to lift 50 pounds, lift hoses, bolt flanges and operate valves and similar equipment routinely.* Be able to climb ladders/stairs and work at heights.* Be able to work in tight or closed-in spaces.* Physically able to use standard safety equipment which is rated for 300 pounds or less.
Note: No Relocation Available. Reliable attendance is an expectation of every Dow employee, therefore student must be able to provide their own reliable transportation for the work assignment.
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at
The positions represented by this job posting are aligned to one of the three divisions, Agriculture, Materials Science or Specialty Products, which are expected to separate from DowDuPont into stand-alone public companies. Information on the division alignment will be provided during the recruitment process.
* Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits* An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company* Employee stock ownership - and the commitment to long-term success that it brings* On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment* Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth* The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world* Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others* Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at , you may call us at 1 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1 .